(1 hr. / 0.1 CEU)
AOTA Category: OT Service Delivery
- CEUs/Contact Hours: 0.1 AOTA CEUs/1 Contact Hour
- Educational Level: Intermediate
General Overview: A properly fitted ultralight manual wheelchairs can improve function and mobility for people with disabilities of all ages. How an individual sits and fits in the wheelchair is a key predictor of safety, comfort and independence, and, over the long term, can impact the likelihood of secondary injuries. Thus, a wheelchair must be configured to its rider to ensure a balanced ride. This course will address the recommendations set forth by the Consortium of Spinal Cord Medicine and RESNA to stress the importance of an optimally configured manual wheelchair.
Objectives: By the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Discuss 2 ways in which manual wheelchair configuration affects propulsion
- Discover 3 research articles that examine the implications of properly configured manual wheelchair.
- Identify 2 “nontraditional” measurements that play a key role in optimally fitting a manual wheelchair.
- Explain how a manual wheelchair that is durable, lightweight, and custom configured improves overall function of manual wheelchair users
See our upcoming onsite education courses at the Permobil Academy.
Full Course Detail Flyer PDF: Wheelchair Configuration