(2 hrs./ 0.2 CEU/CCU)
AOTA Category: OT Service Delivery
- CEUs/Contact Hours: 0.2 AOTA CEUs/2 Contact Hour
- Education Level: Intermediate
As humans we are designed to be stand; not just stand occasionally but spend most of our days standing. Over the last several years the media has been littered with articles discussing the negative effects of prolonged sitting and the benefits of standing. Standing desks and terminals now have a presence in the workplace, so why are we still asking our patients to sit. Ongoing studies have continued to investigate the cost of prolonged sitting of our patients and how the benefit of standing may reduce the cost of ongoing healthcare needs. Despite this ongoing research the basis of standing insurance coverage of standing devices continues to be a challenge. In this course we will review the benefits of standing both medical and functional, the ongoing cost of sitting, and how to decipher the current portfolio of standing devices and how to justify them.
CEU Objectives: By the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the functional basis for standing and why it’s important
- Discuss 3 negative impacts of not standing
- Discuss and justify 3 different ways to provide standing options for people who are not able to independently stand
- Discuss 3 different case examples of how using standing wheelchair improves functional status and independence.
See our upcoming onsite education courses at the Permobil Academy.
Full Course Detail Flyer PDF: Taking a Stand